Warm weather is finally returning, which means lots of people are gearing up with great deals on everything you’ll need for a fun-filled summer. Here are the best things to buy in May.
Every month, we look back at the best times to buy anything during the year, and pull out items each month to remind you what’s coming. Obviously, none of this is to say you should go on a shopping spree—but if you’ve been holding off for a lower price on something, these are the things that get the sale treatment in May.
- Televisions and Other Electronics: The Japanese fiscal year ends in March, so companies like Sony, Canon, Sharp, and other electronics manufacturers are trying to get rid of their old stock. So, go out and grab those new TVs and other gadgets now.
- Houses: Lovely spring weather and the upcoming summer vacations means lots of people are selling houses, which means its a great time to buy. And, while prices won’t hit rock bottom (that happens in the winter), you’ll have a much better selection if you start house hunting now.
- Boots and Winter Wear: Barring a catastrophic change in weather patterns, most of the country should be snow-free, so all the leftover winter wear should be heavily discounted right now. You may not need it for a few months, but if you want to get a good price, grab that new winter coat while you can.
- Cookware Kitchen Accessories: Graduation season is here, which means graduation-themed sales abound. Anything a college kid could need—like kitchen tools and cookware—are all discounted, so just pretend you’ve got a kit in college and stock up on your must-have kitchen tools now.
- Vacuum Cleaners: If you haven’t done your spring cleaning yet (seriously, hurry up!), you can still pick up vacuum cleaners for a lower price as the spring draws to a close. New vacuums usually don’t come out until June, so you might be able to grab the last few off the shelf now.
- Mattresses: New mattresses come out in the summer, so if you’re looking to get some better sleep this year, you can grab last year’s model at a discounted price. And, as long as you do your pre-shopping research, there’s no reason you can’t still get a great one.
- Patio Furniture: Garage sales are probably the best place to buy patio furniture, but if you’re looking for something a bit newer, now’s the time to grab whatever’s left over at the stores before they bring in all the new stuff.
- Party Picnic Supplies: Get ready for Memorial Day and the start of the grilling season by colllecting all the paper plates and other picnic supplies you’ll need this summer. While you’re at it, learn how to become the Memorial Day grill master and start practicing!
- Refrigerators: As people clean their homes, they often upgrade them as well—and with new refrigerators coming out soon, there’s no better time to get a good discount on a barely outdated fridge for your newly rebooted kitchen.
We’ll be posting updates for you guys every month, so you’re aware of the deals going on all year round. If you’re curious to see what’s coming up, you can always check out our full best time to buy guide to see the entire year at a glance. And, if you know of any deals we didn’t mention, share them in the comments below.